The book Blood Dazzler, by Patricia Smith was very interesting. I never read of book of poems that all talks about previous events. So I really enjoyed reading the short poems. What I really liked about Smith's writing though, was the fact the she turned hurricane Katrina into an actual person. The gave the hurricane emotions and feelings and that's what really drew me in on this book.
I liked the way Smith referenced her poems to previous poems and told a story. She gave insight on different aspects of what was happening during the hurricane. She even went into lives of certain people. As I read the poems from a specific person, I wonder if they were made up people or if the author new them personally .
One of my favorite poems in the book was "Ethel's Sestina." This one caught my eye because of the variety of details. When I read this poem I felt as if I was there watching a lady in a wheelchair be left to die. I felt as if I could be in her skin and know deep down inside that no one was coming to rescue her.
Another poem that really caught my eye was "Their Savior was me." I like this one because the author turned "Katrina" into a person who was jealous of "God" in my perception. The reason she caused all this destruction, destroyed all the home, took all them lives is because no one called her name and preyed to her. She was jealous at the fact they called God when they were in need. Overall, I just love the idea Smith used to put emotions to a hurricane. It was really clever.
No comments:
Post a Comment